Are there computers, printers and copiers I can use at the Library?
All Library locations have the following equipment available for public use:
- Computers with access to the online catalog and online databases
- Computers with Internet access equipped with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Black and white printer
- Copy machines
The Central Library also has:
- Two computers with flatbed scanners and image editing software, including Acrobat Professional and Adobe Photoshop CS4.
- Teletypewriter (TTY) for deaf patrons with TTY equipment
- Color copier (Level 8)
You need a permanent Library card to reserve a computer. No Library card? Guest passes are available for a single 30-minute session if you don't qualify for a Library card. Visitors and non-residents can also buy a Library card.
Is there a charge for printing or making a copy?
Yes. The Library charges:
- $.15 per page for printing
(Use cash or credit card or Paypal account for online payment at https://pay.spl.org/)
- $.15 per page for a black and white copy (cash only)
- $1 for a color copy (available at the Central Library)
Wireless Internet Access
Does the Library offer wireless Internet access?
Wireless access is available at no charge to anyone with Wi-Fi enabled laptops and wireless devices at all Library locations.
The wireless Internet service is not secure and users should be aware of the risks. Even if firewalls are running on laptops, it is recommended that sensitive information not be sent through this network.
Wi-Fi users must configure their own equipment and connect to the network using these settings:
- SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name = spl-public:
- Encryption or WEP = disable WEP encryption
- Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad-hoc)
- Set TCP/IP properties to "Obtain an IP address automatically" (DHCP)