Library Closed Monday, May 29
All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Memorial Day, Monday, May 29.
Service interruption in the Library's Online Catalog – May 28 and May 29
The Library will be performing maintenance on our catalog starting at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, May 28 - 6:30 p.m. Monday, May 29. During this time, you will be able to search the Bibliocommons catalog, but will not be able to log in, place holds, renew items or use other catalog features. The former Library catalog (Horizon Information Portal), SPL Mobile, access to e-books, free music downloads and many databases and applications also will be unavailable.
If an item is not in the Library catalog, we may be able to get it for you from another library system through an Interlibrary Loan (ILL), also known as resource sharing.
Interlibrary Loan service is not available to cardholders whose qualification is based on membership in another library system.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests
You can also stop by any Library location or call 206-386-4636.
- $5 for each item obtained from another library system through Interlibrary Loan
- $1 per day (late fee) to a maximum of $15
- The Library accepts cash, check or online payments at pay.spl.org
The fee for this specialized service does not apply to holds placed on material owned by The Seattle Public Library. It applies only to items that customers ask the Library to borrow from other library systems.
What can I request?
- audio books
- music scores
- journals and newspapers
What can I NOT request?
- Items already owned by the Library
- Items published in the last 12 months
- Music CDs
- Digital books and media (ebooks, etc.)
We are not able to notify you if an item is unavailable, but if we are able to get it for you, you'll get a notice when it is available for check out. Most items are received within three weeks, but response times vary.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) limits:
- Items are usually loaned for 21 days and may not be renewed
- You may submit up to five Interlibrary Loan requests per week
- Interlibrary Loans service is available only on accounts with balances less than $15
- Ask a Librarian for help using chat, email or by phone
- Ask for help in person from staff at any Library location