Library closed Dec. 24 and 25
All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Christmas Eve, Wednesday, Dec. 24 and Christmas Day Thursday, Dec. 25.
Service interruption in the Library's Online Catalog - Jan. 1
Between 6 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 1, the Library will be upgrading its electrical power system. During the upgrade, you will be able to search the catalog, but won't be able to log in, place holds, renew items or use other catalog features. The former Library catalog (Horizon Information Portal) will not be available at all. SPL Mobile, access to e-books, free music downloads and many databases and applications also will be unavailable.
Our Books on Bikes program brings Library resources to you.
Books on Bikes is a pilot program that uses pedal power and a customized trailer to bring Library services to popular community events around Seattle. A total of 11 Library staff members make up the Books on Bikes team.
The trailer was developed and constructed by Colin Stevens, who runs Haulin' Colin in Seattle. It was specially designed to handle a lot of weight, as well as display books and other materials on the built-in shelves. It has a handy umbrella holder to keep books from getting wet if it rains.
View the video of Mayor Mike McGinn and City Librarian Marcellus Turner, who joined the Books on Bikes team at TOPS Elementary to launch the new program.
- Sign up for a Library card and choose from one of our great new designs
- Find out about free Library programs in your neighborhood including story times for children and adults
- Learn how to download e-books, music and more straight to your smartphone or e-reader
- Tell us a little bit about what you like (and dislike!) to read. We'll email you Your Next Five Books
- Discover how to access Library magazines on your smartphone or tablet.