The Seattle Public Library

Your Account | Print-Friendly

December 21, 2014

Locations

West Seattle Branch : About the Branch

Header Image

Library Locator


Map of Library Locations

West Seattle Branch
Alert

Library closed Dec. 24 and 25

All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Christmas Eve, Wednesday, Dec. 24 and Christmas Day Thursday, Dec. 25.

 

Service interruption in the Library's Online Catalog - Jan. 1

Between 6 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 1,  the Library will be upgrading its electrical power system. During the upgrade, you will be able to search the catalog, but won't be able to log in, place holds, renew items or use other catalog features. The former Library catalog (Horizon Information Portal) will not be available at all. SPL Mobile, access to e-books, free music downloads and many databases and applications also will be unavailable.

About the West Seattle Branch

The West Seattle Branch of The Seattle Public Library has:

 

 

ARCHITECTURE

The renovated West Seattle Branch opened Saturday, April 3, 2004. It is the seventh project completed under the 1998 voter- approved "Libraries for All" building program. (See the West Seattle Branch Building Fact Sheet.)

 

The renovation was designed by Snyder Hartung Kane Strauss Architects and built by W.G. Clark Construction Co.

 

The children's area is named for Library supporters and donors Anne and Langdon Simons. (See Donors to the West Seattle Branch: Named Spaces for more information.)

 

Artist Dennis Evans of Seattle created artwork for five of the Library's Carnegie branches, including the West Seattle Branch. He created a series of painted, mixed-media works titled "The Seven Liberal Arts," which denote the seven branches of knowledge. Each branch has two works from the series. One "reference painting" is similar in all five branches. The second work is unique to each branch. The unique work at the West Seattle Branch represents "Logic." The Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs manages the Library's public art program.

 

HISTORY

In 1908, wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie agreed to donate $35,000 to build a library in West Seattle. That same year, the Niesz family and other West Seattle residents donated land for the branch at 42nd Avenue Southwest and Southwest College Street.

 

The 9,460-square-foot branch, which was designed by W. Marbury Somervell and Joseph S. Coté, cost $38,344.48 and opened July 23, 1910. Two days later it began circulating books and became the first permanent branch building to open in Seattle.

 

Two main-floor reading areas flank the entry and lobby. The lack of a lower-level auditorium was an exception to typical Carnegie designs. Wings on either side of the building feature two sets of large operable vertical windows that allow natural light and fresh air to pour into the building.

 

Tall ceilings contribute to a sense of spaciousness and rich detailing and use of wood throughout the interior add to the warm, historic feel of the branch.

 

Early on, librarians advertised their services by posting lists of new books at the post office and hanging signs on the West Seattle Ferry.

 

The branch has a long history of working closely with schools and children. In 1918, owing to a shortage of teachers, the principal of the West Seattle School sent the eighth grade to the library for one period during the last three weeks of school. In 1949, when an earthquake destroyed the Lafayette School, the library took in the school's library books.

 

In 1984, Seattle voters approved a bond issue, in part to improve the Library's seven historic Carnegie-era branches. The West Seattle Branch was closed for renovations between February and October 1987.

 

The historic branch is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was named a landmark building by Seattle's Landmarks Preservation Board.

 

LIBRARIES FOR ALL CAPITAL PROJECTS AND THE WEST SEATTLE BRANCH

In 1998, voters approved the $196.4 million "Libraries for All" bond measure and The Seattle Public Library Foundation pledged to contribute privately raised money to improve the Library system. The plan included renovating the West Seattle Branch.

 

Construction began in May 2003. The branch reopened on April 3, 2004.

Libraries for All: Investing in Experiences

West Seattle Branch
2306 42nd Ave. S.W.
Seattle, WA 98116
206-684-7444

Hours:

Mon:

10 am - 8 pm

Tue:

10 am - 8 pm

Wed:

10 am - 8 pm

Thu:

10 am - 8 pm

Fri:

10 am - 6 pm

Sat:

10 am - 6 pm

Sun:

1 pm - 5 pm


Regional Manager:
Jane Appling