The Rainier Beach Branch and book drop closed Aug. 24, 2015, for maintenance work and improvements to the interior. It reopened Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2015.
The branch was partially reroofed, recarpeted and repainted. While the branch was closed for that work, the interior layout was reconfigured to create flexible spaces for children, teens and adults.
The interior changes are part of City Librarian Marcellus Turner's vision for The Seattle Public Library. One of his five service priorities is "reimagined spaces" - redesigning spaces in our libraries to better meet the changing needs and expectations of patrons.
The improvements were based on the needs of the community, branch usage, circulation, changes in technology and trends in library services.
The branch was built in 1981 and expanded in 2004 under the 1998 voter-approved "Libraries for All" bond measure that renewed and revitalized libraries across the city.
- Reroof older part of building
- Recarpet, repaint
- Replace shelving, furniture, selected windows
- Add single staff service desk to make it easier for patrons to know where to get help
- Install laptop bar with power strips in lobby
- Improve layout of areas for children and teens
- Add a space for families
- Add quiet zone in adult area
- Create collaborative work space area for youth and adults
- Replace some fixed computers with laptops and iPads for in-library use
- Create digital media room with large monitors
- Add multipurpose meeting room (Friends of The Seattle Public Library Meeting Room)
- Provide business center for copier and fax machine
- Increase lighting, electrical outlets, data boxes
- Rebalance collection of books and other items based on what patrons are using
- Approximately $1.5 million
- Sources of funds
- The Seattle Public Library Foundation
- Real Estate Excise Tax
- 2012 Library levy
- Patrons favor comfortable spaces with active and quiet areas and flexible meeting rooms
- DVDs for adults remain popular
- The branch has the highest usage of Internet computers other than the Central Library
- Aug. 23, 2015: Last day to check out or return materials
- Aug. 24, 2015: Branch and book drop closed
- Mid-September to mid-December: Library provided Homework Help, Toddler Story Time, Preschool Story Time, Somali Story Time and classes in English as a Second Language at the Rainier Beach Community Center. Monthly book group meeting relocated to the NewHolly Branch.
- Dec. 30, 2015: Branch reopened
For more information, please call the branch at 206-386-1906 or Ask a Librarian.