The Northeast Branch of The Seattle Public Library has:
The expanded Northeast Branch opened June 26, 2004. It is the 10th project completed under the 1998 voter-approved "Libraries for All" building program. (See the Northeast Branch Building Fact Sheet.)
The Miller|Hull Partnership designed the addition and it was built by Graham Contracting Ltd.
The architects preserved the pavilion-like feel of the original building by maintaining the roof peak and avoiding the installation of ductwork along the ceiling.
They created an attractive link between the two parts of the building for continuity. The roof of the addition is the inverse of the roof of the original building, which complements the historic significance of the original architecture.
The children's area is named after donors Jodi Green and Mike Halperin. (See Donors to the Northeast Branch: Named Spaces for more information.)
Capitol Hill artist Heather Dew Oaksen designed art for the expanded branch. The forward-looking nature of Oaksen's work matched the forward-looking architectural design by the original architect, Paul Thiry.
Oaksen created a set of video projections that slowly move across three Plexiglas screens inside the branch. Her images are grouped around themes that act as visual metaphors for what is happening inside the library: gathering, moving and discovering.
In 1945, members of the Ravenna Community Club went door-to-door to raise $3,000 for a library station. The group rented a small space on 33rd Avenue Northeast near East 65th Street, which The Seattle Public Library equipped and staffed. The Ravenna-View Ridge deposit station opened in December 1945.
The station was heavily used and it was clear the area needed a permanent branch. The City Council added $492,000 to the 1953 budget to buy a bookmobile and build three branches, including the Northeast Branch.
Paul Thiry, a prominent Seattle architect, designed the award-winning building at 6801 35th Ave. N.E. that opened June 3, 1954.
It wasn't long before the branch became the most heavily used branch in the system.
LIBRARIES FOR ALL CAPITAL PROJECTS AND THE NORTHEAST BRANCH
In 1998, voters approved a $196.4 million "Libraries for All" bond measure and The Seattle Public Library Foundation pledged to contribute privately raised money to improve the entire Library system. The plan included expanding the Northeast Branch, which serves Wedgwood, Morningside, View Ridge, Hawthorne Hills, Windermere, Ravenna-Bryant and Laurelhurst.
In January 2001, Seattle's Landmarks Preservation Board voted to designate the building as a landmark.
Construction began in June 2003; grand reopening was Saturday, June 26, 2004.