To request service, please contact 206-386-4636 or use Ask a Librarian. Please note: there is currently a waiting list for some services. Thank you for your patience.
Mobile Services visits preschools and childcare centers that:
- Are within the Seattle city limits
- Have at least 20 children enrolled
- Are full-day and open year-round or are a free program for low income families
- Are not within easy walking distance to a public library location (5 blocks, no major obstacles)
- Are either: a free program for low income families OR accept one or more of the following subsidies or funding sources that assist low-income families:
- Head Start
- Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP)
- Working Connections Child Care (DSHS)
- Seattle Step Ahead Preschools
- City of Seattle Child Care Assistance Program
- Seattle Preschool Program
Residential Facilities and Day Centers
Mobile Services provides monthly library service to retirement homes, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, adult family homes, and senior centers when a significant number of residents or clients are unable to visit the library due to age or physical or intellectual disability. Facilities must demonstrate interest in participation in the program on the part of residents and complete an application form.
We offer two types of monthly service:
- Library staff bring carts of materials into the facility, including materials for browsing and items individuals have requested. Library staff check out materials to individuals during the visit.
- We deliver a deposit collection of materials we select based on the facility's requests and preferences.
Individual service is available to Seattle residents who are unable to travel to the library. This may include individuals who have an illness of a six month duration or longer or are living with a disability. For persons under 70, certification of eligibility by a healthcare professional may be required. Materials are delivered once a month, either through Books by Mail or Home Service delivery.