The Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch of The Seattle Public Library has:
The renovated Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch at 1134 33rd Ave. reopened May 10, 2008. The $893,000 renovation was the 26th project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program. (See the Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch Building Facts for more information.)
The renovation was designed by Heliotrope Architects and built by Cope Construction Co.
The architects reconfigured the interior so patrons and staff could more efficiently use the branch, separating activities such as busy children's story times from the holds pick-up area.
The interior was opened up by adding a new steel beam, which replaced three wooden post columns.
The main entry moved north toward East Union Street to improve visibility. The former main entry became a bay window. Patrons can sit on a storyteller's bench inside the branch and look out the window at the landscape.
An exterior book drop was added and a canopy protects patrons from the weather.
The roof was replaced with a new composition shingle roof, along with new gutters and downspouts. The exterior brick was cleaned, tuck-pointed, and acid-washed.
The reading area is named for Macon "Mimi" Howard, a former member of The Seattle Public Library board of trustees and a current member of the board of The Seattle Public Library Foundation. (See Donors to the Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch: Named Spaces for more information.)
The Library selected two pieces of art for the building: an oil painting by Seattle artist Mary Iverson and a ceramic sculpture by artist and longtime Madrona resident Monad Elohim. The Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs manages the Library's public art program.
Richard Beyer's sculpture, "The Peaceable Kingdom," which depicts a panther, pig, sheep and wolf, remains on the lawn outside the branch.
The small brick building that houses the branch was built in 1919 and originally was a fire station.
Library service in Madrona dates back to 1971 when local activist Sally Goldmark worked with The Seattle Public Library board of trustees to open an informal reading center for children called the Book-tique. It operated for three months.
When Fire Station No. 12 closed in late 1971, Goldmark again worked with the Library Board to rent and remodel the building to serve as a library.
The Station House Branch opened Feb. 8, 1973, and was renamed the Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch in 1985 after Goldmark's death.
LIBRARIES FOR ALL CAPITAL PROJECTS AND THE MADRONA-SALLY GOLDMARK BRANCH
In 1998, voters approved the $196.4 million "Libraries for All" (LFA) bond measure and The Seattle Public Library Foundation pledged to contribute privately raised money to improve the Library system. The plan included renovating the Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch.
Construction began in August 2007. The renovated branch reopened May 10, 2008.