The Broadview Branch of The Seattle Public Library has:
The expanded Broadview Branch reopened Dec. 8, 2007. It was the 25th project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program. See the Broadview Branch Building Facts.)
The expansion was designed by Miller Hayashi Architects and built by Graham Contracting Ltd.
The addition created a civic presence for the branch, which patrons said was easy to miss along busy Greenwood Avenue North. A new main entry off Greenwood Avenue North was added for pedestrians. Motorists can enter through a second main entry off the parking lot.
The architects took cues from the longhouse theme evoked by the original branch. They retained interior massive vertical support logs and left an original brick wall exposed so patrons could see the connection between the old and the new.
High ceilings and clerestories allow north light to enter the building. Downspouts that drain into retaining planters laid with gravel help delay the discharge of runoff into storm drains.
Four pieces of artwork by Northwest artist Marvin Oliver, which hung in the original branch, returned to the building.
Seattle artist Theresa Batty created a suspended wooden vessel and cast glass blocks that contain images. The pieces abstractly reference navigation, direction and personal searches for belonging and identity.
Library service in Broadview dates back to 1944 when the new King County Library System (KCLS) opened a branch in the North End. The community provided financial support for the branch, located in a room in a portable classroom at Greenwood Avenue North and North 105th Street. In 1947, it moved to 525 N. 105th St.
In 1954 the city of Seattle annexed the area and after a year transition, The Seattle Public Library took over the branch. It reopened in January 1955 as the Oakview Branch.
Over time, the community decided it needed a larger, more centrally located branch.
In 1967, a site at Greenwood Avenue North and North 130th Street was purchased for $43,000 and the City Council appropriated money to build a branch. But the plan was derailed when the City Council instead used the money to renovate Sicks' Stadium for Seattle's first major baseball team, the Pilots.
Outraged Broadview residents vigorously protested - at one point holding a "read in" at the vacant lot - but it wasn't until Dec. 15, 1975, that the new Broadview Branch opened and replaced the Oakview Branch.
Libraries for All Capital Projects and the Broadview Branch
In 1998, voters approved the $196.4 million "Libraries for All" (LFA) bond measure and The Seattle Public Library Foundation pledged to contribute privately raised money to improve the Library system. The plan included expanding the Broadview Branch.
Construction began in July 2006. The expanded branch reopened Dec. 8, 2007.