The Beacon Hill Branch of The Seattle Public Library has:
The new Beacon Hill Branch at 2821 Beacon Ave. S. opened July 10, 2004. It was the 11th project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program. (See the Beacon Hill Branch Building Facts for more information.)
The building was designed by Carlson Architects and built by Steele Corp. The architects designed the sweeping roof forms, which allow natural light to flood the building, to provide a visual landmark and establish a focal point for the community. Wood and stone are used throughout the building to provide a harmony of natural warmth and enduring craft. Plaster and interior finishes were donated by Mark Ricketts of Medici Architectural Finishes LLC.
The stone countertops, sills, site stones and the stone for the branch sign came from the Tenino Quarry, which supplied the stone for the original Carnegie library in downtown Seattle.
The canopied stone entry plaza offers protected seating, bicycle racks and large quarry stones for landscaping and seating. Green garden areas provide a visual buffer to the streets and parking areas.
Artwork includes: a kinetic boat sculpture above the main entry and rain scuppers designed by Pullman artist Miles Pepper; haiku engraved onto large garden stones donated by Marenakos Rock Center; and audio recordings of poetry, prose and short fiction. The haiku and poetry, prose and fiction were written by Beacon Hill residents.
The first Beacon Hill Library opened Oct. 23, 1945, in a small building at 2708 Beacon Ave. S. Members of the Beacon Hill Community Club, Beacon Hill Parent-Teachers Association and Jefferson Park Ladies' Improvement Club contributed time, money, materials and labor.
The Seattle Public Library board of trustees agreed to provide books and staff if the community would pay the rent, decorate, furnish and maintain the building for a two-year trial period. Heavy use convinced the Library Board to assume full responsibility.
On Dec. 6, 1962, the library moved to a larger, rented space at 2519 15th Ave. S. in a building originally built in 1927 as a food store. In 1968, fire destroyed the variety store next door, but heavy rain kept the library from burning. The Library Board bought the 3,200-square-foot building in 1975.
Libraries for All Capital Projects and the Beacon Hill Branch
In 1998, voters approved the $196.4 million "Libraries for All" bond measure and The Seattle Public Library Foundation pledged to contribute privately raised money to improve the entire Library system. The plan included building a new Beacon Hill Branch.
Construction began in February 2003. The new branch opened July 10, 2004.