Celebrate National Poetry Month
Children, teens and adults are invited to enter The Seattle Public Library's second annual haiku contest and celebrate National Poetry Month in April.
Winning entries will appear on the Library website beginning April 1.
Entries must be:
- in the form of a traditional, contemporary or innovative haiku
- three lines
- total of 17 syllables or fewer
- in English
Topic: Celebrate Seattle
Submissions: Submissions can be made via this web page between Feb. 1 and 15. No print or email entries accepted.
Deadline: 5 p.m. Friday, February 14.
- One submission per person.
- You must have a Library card issued by The Seattle Public Library to enter. (Get a Library card.)
- Entries must be the writer's own work and may not be submitted without the poet's knowledge or consent. No previously published works or works accepted for publication elsewhere will be accepted.
- You must hold all rights to your submission, including the right to provide the poem to The Seattle Public Library for use in the contest.
- Keep a copy of your poem.
- You agree your poem may be used in any Library brochure, print ad, direct mail piece, social media, electronic media, (e.g. video, Internet, website) or other form of promotion without remuneration or further consent.
- There will be no monetary compensation or license fee provided for poem submissions.
- In lieu of payment, the Library agrees to make reasonable efforts to provide credit for use of any poem by including the author's name.
- Winners will be notified by phone or email by April 1.
- All decisions by the judging committee are final.
Enter the contest