We welcome school visits to the Faye G. Allen Children's Center at the Central Library. If you would like to arrange a self-guided tour for your class, we can provide:
- A scavenger hunt (PDF) to introduce students to the Children's Center
- Use of our story time room for lunch, if it is not already in use. Please contact the Children's Center to see if it is available
- A self-guided tour (PDF) of the Central Library designed for kids
- Help signing your students up for Library cards (see below)
To make your visit a success, we recommend that you:
- Limit the size of your group to 60 students and include one adult per five students
- Remind students with Library cards to bring their card and know their PIN if they plan to check out books or other items
Email the Children's Center to schedule a visit, sign up your students for Library cards, or check room availability.
Getting Library cards
Students in Seattle and most of King County can apply for Library cards in advance and receive them the day of their visit.
To arrange for Library cards for your students, please:
- Email the Children's Center with your name, school, number of students and date of visit.
- Print out a Children's Library Card Application Form (PDF) for each of your students.
- Send the Application Form home with the students, to be signed by a parent or guardian and returned to you.
- Complete a cover sheet (PDF) and mail the completed application forms and cover sheet to the Children's Center.
Please mail your completed Library Card Application forms at least two weeks before your visit.
For more information, please contact:
The Seattle Public Library
1000 Fourth Ave.
Seattle, WA 98104-1109
School tours of other Library locations
For information about school tours at other Library locations, please contact the branch. See Teens School Tours of the Central Library for information about middle or high school visits.