The Seattle Public Library, United Way of King County and the AARP are collaborating to offer free tax preparation service January through mid-April at 15 locations of The Seattle Public Library.
Trained volunteers will answer questions and help prepare personal tax returns. The service is not available for business tax returns.
Tax assistance will be available at the times and locations listed below. Drop-in assistance will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis; appointments are not required unless noted below.
To receive tax help, bring the following documents:
- Photo identification (required)
- Social Security cards for everyone listed on the tax return
- Tax form SSA 1099 (Social Security benefits)
- Medicare card (if Social Security number is followed by an "A")
- Official documents on Social Security Administration letterhead
- Last year's tax return, if available
- All tax-related documents, such as W-2s and 1099s. Be prepared to provide information about health care coverage for each person on the return.
Photocopies or computer print-outs of any of these documents will not be accepted.
Due to federal budget cuts the IRS is unable to provide the Library with certain tax forms and instruction booklets. Most IRS forms are available online at www.irs.gov. You may make black-and-white prints of the forms from Library computers for $.15 per page. To ask the IRS to mail you forms, order online at IRS.gov/orderforms or call 1-800-829-3676.
For more information, Ask a Librarian or call the Library at 206-386-4636.