Hear the 'Songs of Unsung Seattle' at The Seattle Public Library
The Seattle Public Library will host jazz and spoken-word performances about Seattle's history from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Sundays, beginning Aug. 3, 2014 through Jan. 11, 2015 at several Library locations.
Library events and programs are free and open to the public. Registration is not required. The 10 performances, featuring "Panama Hotel Jazz" and "Cup of Joe Brazil," will be presented by the Steve Griggs Ensemble. See below for the schedule and program descriptions.
Panama Hotel Jazz
The 103-year-old Panama Hotel in Seattle's International District carries the memories and experiences of Japanese Americans before, during, and after WWII. This program tells true stories of local history, inspired by the Panama Hotel, through spoken word that establishes context for 11 original musical scenes.
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 3 at the Central Library, 1000 Fourth Ave., Level 1, Microsoft Auditorium, 206-386-4636
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 17 at the International District/Chinatown Community Center, 719 Eighth Ave. S., 206-386-1300
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 14 at the Green Lake Branch, 7364 E. Green Lake Dr. N., 206-684-7547
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 28 at the Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S., 206-386-1908
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 11 at the Ballard Branch, 5614 22nd Ave. N.W., 206-684-4089
Cup of Joe Brazil
An original, narrated music program about Seattle jazz saxophonist Joe Brazil's community-building through music in the face of civil rights injustice during the 1960s and 1970s.
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10 at the Central Library, 1000 Fourth Ave., Level 1, Microsoft Auditorium, 206-386-4636
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24 at the Queen Anne Branch, 400 W. Garfield St., 206-386-4227
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 7 at the University Branch, 5009 Roosevelt Way N.E., 206-684-4063
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 21 at the West Seattle Branch, 2306 42nd Ave. S.W., 206-684-7444
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 19 at the Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way, 206-684-4704
Performances by the Steve Griggs Ensemble are presented in partnership with The Seattle Public Library. The shows have been made possible with support from Chamber Music America through its Residency Endowment Fund.
For more information, call Quick Information at 206-386-4636, visit www.spl.org/jazz or Ask a Librarian.
For more information contact:
Andra Addison, communications director
< Back To Index