Sundays are Special: Celebrate new open hours on Sundays at The Seattle Public Library
For the first time in at least a century, all locations of The Seattle Public Library are open on Sunday. Expanded operating hours in 2013 are being funded by a levy approved by voters in August.
Each branch with new Sunday hours is hosting a special celebration on a Sunday through May 5. Each celebration will feature City Librarian Marcellus Turner, a children's craft activity taught by the Nature Consortium, refreshments and an opportunity to participate in the Check-Out Sundays Challenge. March celebrations include:
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, April 7, Green Lake Branch, 7364 E. Green Lake Dr. N., 206-684-7547
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, April 14, Magnolia Branch, 2801 34th Ave. W., 206-386-4225
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, April 21, Montlake Branch, 2401 24th Ave. E., 206-684-4063
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, April 28, Northgate Branch, 10548 Fifth Ave. N.E., 206-386-1980
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, May 5, Delridge Branch, 5423 Delridge Way S.W., 206-733-9125. (City Librarian Marcellus Turner will not be present at this celebration)
Patrons can get a free Check-Out Challenge card in a keepsake sleeve at any Library location. To participate in the challenge, patrons just need to visit any location of The Seattle Public Library on Sunday and get their card stamped before they leave. Patrons with 15 stamps can enter a prize drawing. Patrons who attend Sunday Branch Celebrations also receive commemorative stickers for their Check-Out Cards.
Prizes include Booklovers Baskets and lunch with City Librarian Turner. Drawings will take place in May. Patrons do not need to be present at the drawings to win prizes.
New Library cards
The Library has also unveiled five new Library cards. Four feature photographs of iconic Seattle sites: the Pike Place Market, Space Needle, Mount Rainier and Central Library. A special card for children was also designed. The Library will continue offering its current "classic card," which features the Library logo. Patrons can replace their current card for a new one in 2013 without a charge.
Bag your books
Limited-edition sturdy canvas tote bags featuring a commemoratively styled icon of your Library branch will be available for $15 (cash only) from the Friends of The Seattle Public Library.
For more information, call the Library at 206-386-4636 or Ask a Librarian.
For more information contact:
Andra Addison, communications director
< Back To Index