On Nov. 21, 2011, the City Council approved Mayor McGinn's proposed 2012 budget for the Library without substantive changes.
The $51.8 million operating budget is approximately $500,000 above the Library's 2012 Endorsed Budget due mostly to inflation and technical adjustments. The Library's 2012 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Budget provides $820,000 for major maintenance/asset preservation and $207,000 for accessibility improvements related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The 2012 budget continues service cuts that have been implemented in recent years:
- A one-week system-wide closure from Aug. 27 through Sept. 2, 2012
- Branch libraries open 190 fewer hours a week compared to 2009
- 15 branches open five days per week, seven hours per day
- The $5 million budget for books and other items is 13 percent less than 2009 after inflation
- The $820,000 capital budget is less than half of what it was in 2009